The Goldwater Scholarship is awarded to outstanding college sophomores and juniors who are pursuing advanced study in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
It awards up to $7,500 annually to cover tuition, fees, books, room, and board and is the most prestigious undergraduate STEM scholarship in the U.S.
Read more about UT’s recent Goldwater Scholars here.
Campus Deadline: TBD (November 2017)
National Deadline: January 26, 2018
- US citizen, a permanent US legal residence, or a US national
- A full-time student in your sophomore or junior year at an accredited university
- Have a “B” average in college
- Be in the top fourth of your class
To be competitive for the Goldwater, students must demonstrate:
- Evidence of previous research experience and high academic potential, such as excellent grades
- Exceptional letters of recommendation
- A commitment to pursuing advanced study and a career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering
- A series of extended short-answer questions
- A detailed research proposal
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts and a complete online application
- Nomination by the campus Goldwater committee