The School for International Training (SIT) and the Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships (ONSF) are pleased to announce the first ever SIT-ONSF Partner-Award to support UT students participating in SIT study abroad programs. The partnership was created following discussions about the significant value of SIT programs for the student population served by the ONSF. All SIT programs afford students non-traditional study abroad experiences, including intentional ‘on the ground’ experiences in-country, immersive language exposure and a 4-week independent study/research project component. SIT programs are ideal platforms for further global engagement, language training, international undergraduate research experiences, and provide UT students with opportunities that will prepare them for future post-graduate experiences including nationally competitive opportunities like Fulbright, Boren, Critical Language Scholarship, Humanity in Action, and competitive graduate school programs and professional opportunities.
To be eligible for the SIT-ONSF Partner Award, students must:
- Be a full-time UT undergraduate student;
- Meet with ONSF staff to discuss the proposed SIT program and application;
- Meet all eligibility requirements for their selected SIT program;
- Submit a complete SIT application and coordinate with UT’s Programs Abroad Office to ensure all UT institutional processes are accommodated;
- Submit an online SIT-ONSF Partner Award application available here;
- Submit an unofficial transcript and the names of three faculty references to the ONSF;
- Agree to complete one nationally competitive scholarship or fellowship application post-SIT experience (Fulbright, Boren, etc);
- Make every reasonable effort to present their SIT independent research project (ISP) at either/and the annual Undergraduate Research Symposium or Eureca Poster presentation.
- NOTE: This is a competitive application process; therefore, good application behavior is strongly encouraged. You are expected to submit strong and proof-read applications in a timely fashion.
- Awards will be made on a rolling-basis; however, SIT programs are small and fill very quickly. You are strongly advised to apply to your first-choice SIT
Terms of the Award:
- SIT-ONSF Partner Awards are available for up to $5000.00 for semester-long programs or $3000.00 for summer-long programs;
- SIT-ONSF Partner Awards can only be used for official SIT programs; they cannot be used for any other study or research abroad experience;
- Partner Awards are contingent on acceptance to your named SIT program. You cannot receive funding until you have been accepted to your chosen SIT program.
- Awards will be made based on the quality of the Partner Award application; consideration will be given to both the merit and financial need of each student applicant.
- Applications will be read by UT faculty and decisions made on a rolling basis. However, the award funds are limited and all candidates are encouraged to apply as soon after applying to the selected SIT program as possible.
All questions regarding the SIT-ONSF Partner Award should be directed to the ONSF.