The Goldwater is awarded to outstanding college sophomores and juniors who are pursuing advanced study in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
It awards up to $7,500 annually to cover tuition, fees, books, room, and board and is the most prestigious undergraduate STEM scholarship in the US.
Read more about UT’s recent Goldwater Scholars here.
Campus Deadline: TBA
National Deadline: TBA
- US citizen, a permanent US legal residence, or a US national
- A full-time student in your sophomore or junior year at an accredited university
To be competitive for the Goldwater, students must demonstrate:
- Evidence of previous research experience and high academic potential, such as excellent grades (typically 3.9+ GPA)
- Exceptional letters of recommendation
- A commitment to pursuing advanced study and a career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering
First, students must complete the Goldwater’s pre-application, which can be FOUND HERE.
Next, applicants must meet with ONSF staff to discuss the application process. Full Goldwater applications, including recommendations, must be completed (by the UT Campus Deadline) in order to be considered for nomination to the national competition.
The Goldwater application includes:
- A series of extended short-answer questions
- A detailed research essay
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts and a complete online application
- Nomination by the campus Goldwater committee
Leading up to the national deadline, there is a revision period for any nominated applicants.